Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Belmont News

Well, I'm glad to hear at least that the family is still alive and doing well. I have to say that it was mighty strange to get on the computer last week, but I know that not every missionary gets emails every week, so I should consider myself lucky that I do actually get those emails most weeks!

It's rainy and cooler in Richmond today. We had a really hot week last week, and we were longing for the cooler weather... well, here it is. The leaves are starting to change, and I'm really excited to see the fall. Of course, that just means winter is coming, and it will probably be really cold! Either way, it's a sign that time is passing. I came out when summer hadn't even started yet, and now it's over. I can't tell right now if my mission is passing slowly or quickly. Just time I guess. I hit my 4 month yesterday! It's so crazy to think that I've been a missionary for four months! I think of all the things that have happened in the four months that I've been a missionary. Both things that have happened here, and things that I've heard about from home, and I'm amazed at how much can happen in such a short period of time. Four months is not very long, but yet, it's an eternity! It will be anxious to hear about all the other things that happen in the next 15 or so months! More so though, I'm anxious to see how things change here in the next 15 months and how I learn and grow and develop. It's so exciting to see how people learn and grow, and how I learn and grow the longer I'm out here. I've been here approximately the length of a semester at school... I've learned far more than I've ever learned in a semester of school. Now part of that is probably due to my own lack of willingness to apply myself, but I also know that a large part of that is due to the increased measure of the spirit, and the experiences that I'm having. I know that I never could have learned this much this fast were it not for this decision to trust 18 months of my life to the Lord and His work! I'm so happy to be out here and to see people learning about how they can be together forever and how they can develop their relationship with God, and rely on the atonement to relieve them from their struggles.

Saturday we had a beautiful baptism! Unfortunately it was only one baptism, but we rejoice in any success we have. It's sad when people back out on their baptismal dates, but we have to have the faith that everything is in the Lord's hands and if we do all we can do to follow the spirit and invite them to really understand the gospel of Christ, then we've planted that seed, and they have their agency to choose what to do with that knowledge that they have. We haven't given up on this wonderful sister. She will be baptized as she really comes to realize how the gospel can bring her family together! But... back to our amazing baptism! This was the 15 year old. Her older sister who was baptized in July was there and gave the talk on baptism, and no one would ever have guessed that she was a recent convert! She gave a beautiful talk! The spirit was so strong, and everyone in the room could really feel the Love of Heavenly Father, and His stamp of approval on what was taking place. The grandparents came also. They are Pentacostal, and are really excited that their one and only grandchild is finally baptized and they said that they wouldn't miss it for the world. They thought that it was a beautiful service, and said that they were very impressed at the friendliness of the people there! A seed was planted, and they now have a continuous example through their granddaughter! What an exciting time to rejoice in the gospel of Jesus Christ!

Yesterday we had the ward primary program! The children each had a part in writing what they would say in the program, and so it was a program of testimonies from the children. Simple, beautiful, amazing testimonies! If only we could all take the gospel so beautifully back to the basics. If we could all bear such simple and sincere testimony, then I can't understand how anyone could turn away from the gospel and all it has to offer. The primary children are such an example to me as to how to share the gospel with others. How to bear simple testimony of the truth so that anyone can understand it, and anyone will feel that spirit bearing witness. It doesn't have to be complicated! Why do we make it so complicated so often? I hope that I can really apply what I learned yesterday. This ward is also a great example of missionary work! So many families invited friends of their children to come to watch, that instead of the chapel feeling empty because of the program, it was actually filled more than an normal sunday! We are now teaching one new family all because of the willingness of members to extend an invitation. A simple invitation!

Well, thats about all that I have to say about my week! Those are the most important things to say anyway! I'm so grateful for this gospel in my life, and I'm grateful for the sacrifice that the Savior preformed in my behalf! Thank you all for your support that you provide to me, and for all you do! You are all such an example for me! Continue doing what you're doing!

Love,

Sister Boston

No comments:

Post a Comment

counter