Wednesday, September 22, 2010

20 September 2010

Well, I guess that it was a boring week on the west coast... Fortunately for me it was not so boring on the east coast.

Sister Ibey and I are still working on getting to know the area. I mistakenly thought when I got the call to move up here that it would be more city, and the roads would make more sense. Funny. It's really beautiful here though, and I am really excited for the fall to start and the trees to change. I guess it's been a really dry summer though, and so things aren't as green as they should be. This whole half of Virginia is on mandatory water restrictions right now... something I only thought happened in desert climates like we have at home. regardless, There is still much more green here than any place i've ever lived.

It's been an exciting week. We're working to get in the homes of members so we can get to know them, but it's been surprisingly difficult... nearly impossible it seems. But we have a dinner calendar now, so maybe that will help us. we have two baptisms this weekend that we are really excited about. One of them is a girl who is YW age. i talked about her a little last week. She has started to attend seminary which i think is really admirable. I hardly had the energy to get up for seminary when I was in high school! They are both really good girls, and it's really cool to see how close they are even though they are 5 years apart! maybe someday the mom will get baptized too. she is really cool too! The other baptism is an older woman. she has been meeting with the missionaries since may, and has had a baptismal date before, but things have never worked out. earlier last week, she told us that we could come back for our appointment, but that she didn't want to study with us anymore. we went for our appointment, and talked about her fears, and then had a really powerful lesson. the Spirit was so strong that it was undeniable! instead of us leaving and saying good bye, we left her with a new baptismal date. The change that we can see in her since then is incredible! She is happy and excited for her baptism this week! it's amazing to see how the spirit can work on people and change their attitudes in such a short period of time. but, at the same time, satan can work on people just as fast, so we have to be really careful not to let anyone slip through our cracks! Unfortunately i've seen it go both ways.

we had mission conference last week. Elder Sybrowski of the seventy came, and he gave some really wonderful trainings! he really helped us to see where we could improve as a mission. Only about 4 percent of the people that we find that accept return appointments make it to baptism. retention of investigators is almost none. So, we are focusing on really making sure that we have daily contact with our investigators, and that we use the spirit to teach so that they really understand what we have that the rest of the world doesn't. if they understood that, then our percentages would be so much better!

Well, thats about all I have to say today. i hope everyone has a great week!

Love always,
Sister Boston

No comments:

Post a Comment

counter