Anyone who knows me... knows me well or knows me at all... knows that I don't usually, or ever for that matter wear skirts or dresses just for fun. I wear dresses for church, church, and well, church. They just aren't really practical to wear, and I like things to be practical. That being said... I've just volunteered to spend the next 18 months of my life wearing skirts. I think this is going to take some getting used to.
By far worse than the idea of wearing skirts every day, is the knowledge that I am going to spend the next 18 months wearing nylons. Not all sisters have to wear nylons. My sister probably wore nylons for less than a month equivalent of her mission. My roommate who also recently got her call and is going to Tucson Arizona, only has to wear nylons for zone conferences, and other such meetings. I on the other hand will be wearing nylons daily. Every... day... for... the... next... 18... months! Prior to yesterday I don't recall the last time I wore nylons. Probably back in high school sometime, which would put it at a good 4.5 years ago or longer. They are a pain to put on, a pain to deal with all day, and you have to take painstakingly good care of them to not ruin them. On top of everything, they are pretty expensive for how quickly and easily one can ruin them. I guess I'm just not quite a lady at heart. Yesterday my mom decided that I needed to practice wearing nylons. She is a pretty smart lady... so in getting ready for church, I donned the nylons. Not so bad... they were surprisingly less itchy, and uncomfortable than I vaguely remembered them being. Perhaps something I can live with for 18 months. Still something I could live without if they were ever to change the rules. Possibly the worst part of wearing nylons: Shoes. I hate shoes. I typically only put them on as I'm walking out the door, and they come off the second I return home, wearing nylons however, pretty much requires that the shoes remain on... ALL DAY! It was quite a relief last night when it was time to finally change out of the nylons and the Sunday clothes into something more comfortable. I wonder if I'll get that same relief every day of my mission, or if I'll eventually get to the point that it doesn't phase me anymore. I The clock is ticking, and it won't be long before nylons and skirts are the basis of my wardrobe!
Two words - Thigh-highs. They're amazing.
ReplyDelete