Monday, April 26, 2010

One Month

Today I've hit another mile marker. It is exactly one month until I report to the MTC. It is a great feeling, but I still can't believe how fast it has come. I still feel like there is far too much to do and far too little time to do it all. At least now with school done, I have nothing but work and getting ready to focus on. I can't imagine my life being better than it is right now!

It's been really interesting as word has gotten around that I'm going on a mission. I've been really surprised at how excited and supportive people have been of me, even people that I didn't think would be. I work with a lot of people who have some pretty negative feelings towards the church, and so for a time, I was timid about sharing with the majority of the people that I work with the reason that I was leaving. It turns out however that old navy is much like a ward relief society, and news travels like lightening. Before long every one knew. Everyone including my gay manager and Jannette. I was worried that they would react negatively to my going, but both have expressed to me that they are happy and excited for me. It has made me less timid about doing something that I know is right! I also have a friend from high school back in New Mexico who is not a member, and who probably really knows little about what exactly I'm going to be doing, but who is completely excited for me to go, and has been encouraging me. It's been really great to have her support!

I had yesterday, for the first time, the first somewhat negative reaction to the news that I'm leaving soon to go on a mission. The reaction came from an old friend of mine who is no longer a member of the church. It's given me the opportunity to really think about why I'm going, and the most simple answer I can come up with is that everyone deserves the chance to know what I know, and the chance to choose. They can't have the chance to choose if they never hear, if they never know. I've been blessed to know, and to have grown up knowing I was loved by a Heavenly Father, and that I am loved and have divine potential. I've been blessed to know happiness and where to find it. With all the many blessings I've received, it would be wrong of me not to share those with others. While there are many opportunities to do that without even going on a mission, I feel like at this point in my life, the best way to show my gratitude to my Heavenly Father, is to dedicate myself full time to Him and His service. His work. To share with as many people as possible over the next 18 months the "good news" of the gospel. I've heard people say that I'm going on a mission to try and make people believe in my church, and I feel like they misunderstand entirely. I just want to educate people, and give them the opportunity. I'm not going to force anyone to believe as I do. I simply want to give as many people as possible the chance to hear. Be they in Virginia, Arizona, or around the world, everyone deserves to hear, so I will go teach so that the people in Virginia can hear!!

1 comment:

counter