Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Week one in the mission field

First off, I apologize for typos. I'm trying to type fast so that I can get everything written. I feel like there is so much to say, and not really much time to say it all! I understand now why missionaries always write novels home... the work is so consuming and exciting that you want to tell everyone all about it.
My new companion is Sister Jacob. She is great. I was a little nervous about a trainer. I don't really like people who just consider me to be subordinate, but sister jacob has been really great. I'm out in Norfolk Va. Which is in the Va Beach stake. It's a really great area and I love the people. It's been really interesting working with sister jacob trying to mesh together the things I've been learning in the mtc with the things she has been doing and learned through the last year that she's been here. She is really patient and willing to work together and learn though, so it's been really great! I'm still getting used to things here... like the green and the lack of mountains, but I really think that I will love it! I already do love it. Sister Jacob is from Utah and has been out a year she is a great missionary and I'm learning a lot from her. It's crazy that i've only been out here for a week. it seems like much longer.
I'm amazed at how easy missionary work really is. Not that it's easy, or that we aren't busy, but it's so all consuming that I really don't even get much time to think about home. It's also not as hard as I was expecting it to be. Thats probably because we are blessed with cars, but that doesn't mean that we dont' go out and work hard. I'm very grateful how easy it has been for me to transition to the missionary lifestyle. I know that has been a blessing for me definitely! I know that this is definitely the Lord's work and as we are really obedient that he does bless us in ways that we might never think of otherwise! I'm so glad for the opportunity to be out here, and I know that this is what the Lord wants me to be doing with my life right now.
One thing that my companion has opened my eyes to is the fact that there are miracles every day in the mission field. We had one just yesterday when we were out tracting. We actually sat down on this lady Sue's porch and talked to her for almost half an hour, she talked about her quest to find God, and what he wanted her to do. Then she started talking about how she was lead to an american indian chief who had told her about how the natives have a legend about Christ coming and stories about burying their weapons of war. We told her that we had scriptural accounts of that in the book of mormon and she was all excited. She had had contact with the church previously, but she said that she thought maybe she should pay more attention to that book, and we are going back to teach her on saturday! God does care about us, and He is preparing his people!! In just the little amount of time I've been out here, I've seen that, and I've seen how the gospel really can bless the lives of everyone! I know that God wants us all to have an opportunity to accept it.
I haven't actually been to church here yet because last weekend was stake conference, but I'm really excited. I've met a lot of the members, and they are all really nice and helpful to us as missionaries! I think I'm going to make it important when I have my own family, to help the missionaries in anyway I can. I've only now realized how incredibly important it is for the members to be involved... not just in bringing our own friends to the gospel, but in helping the fulltime missionaries with the people they find and bring to church. We really can't do it all ourselves. It's a great work, and it's only through the help of members that we will have any chance in getting anywhere!! I'm so grateful to be out here and learning all I am. I love being a missionary!
Thanks so much to everyone that has written me. I have an hour at the computer now, so it should be easier for me to get back to everyone, but it would still be nice to get written mail too :) Anyway, it's all up to you, but I do expect emails from the parentals every week. :) Love you all!!
Sister Boston

No comments:

Post a Comment

counter