Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Thinking the INTJ way



At the beginning of fall semester a roommate of mine introduced me to a very interesting "personality test." I know some people are thinking that it sounds dumb, and as one friend said bogus. Well, think what you will. I tend to think the same thing about personality tests most of the time, but this one really intrigued me. I agreed to take the test after my roommate told me that she thought we might be strong in the same four letters.... not that we have the same personality ( that just makes it sound creepy) but that we have similar thought processes, motivations and desires. I did. We do. Similar, but not exactly the same. I'm a stronger introvert than she is, and we are on different levels in all of the other three categories as well, but we still view life generally in the same way.

So, still somewhat skeptical at first, I did some research about what INTJ's were supposed to be like. Research guided of course by my roommate who knows a lot about this personality test. I was surprised to find that the results were surprisingly accurate. Granted it wasn't perfect, not everything was spot on, and some stereotypes can be easily skewed by religious beliefs or other beliefs, but nonetheless I found myself laughing at what an accurate portrait of myself was painted as I read up more on my "personality type." I guess what I find interesting about it, is that for the first time ever that I can remember where I actually felt like someone understood the way I think. Trust me, you could ask most people that know me, and they would find me a mystery in many respects. Even my mom often finds my ways and methods baffling. I wonder if this is because we are supposed to be one of the rarest groups of people on the planet?

So, here are some things I've "found out" about myself in the last few months. Or more accurately, the things that have just made me laugh at how accurately they portray me.

  • If I am going to do something, then I go ahead full steam and don't do it half way. If I can't do it right, I won't do it.
  • Respect must be earned, not given freely. This goes for everyone, parents, teachers and leaders.
  • Language is a horribly ineffective way of communicating things. Because of this, I'll often seem to beat around the bush or speak in complicated analogies to try to help you understand my point. You still almost never understand completely.
  • I like to have things settled and decided on now. Waiting til morning, or to see what happens makes me distressed and panicked.
  • Favorite question: "what are you thinking" I like to know what is on your mind and I don't like to have to guess.
  • To me there is no such thing as not thinking. I can't understand that concept no matter how hard I try.
  • I do not understand most social rituals. Small talk is a waste of time, so I'm not likely to engage in useless conversation. It's not that I don't like you, it's just that I have nothing to say.
  • I like everything to make sense. People should behave logically. If you don't, I will still try to explain your behaviors logically. Yes, this can be problematic.
  • Things should be done right and efficiently. If you aren't doing them that way, I will take over or leave.... preferably physically, but if that is impossible, a compete mental checkout is called for.
  • I don't believe in prizes as motivation. I'll do something because I want to do it or believe in the cause, but for no other reasons. Gold stars, gift cards and money are not motivating factors, so stop trying to use them as motivators.
So, if anyone was interested in learning more about me, there you have it. A very small almost minuscule insight into my brain and how I "tick. " Hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I always thought you would be more of an E than an I. You like being with people too much to be an I. I (Tanner) am a good example of an I, I prefer to limit my interaction with people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure there are any real Es in this family. some, like Anya and Megan, and perhaps their husbands are extreme Is and then some, like Kait, are more moderate, but still Is. I know, because I have tried to drop her off places where she wasn't totally sure about things and getting her out of the car was worse than pulling teeth.

    ReplyDelete

counter