As part of a conversation I've been having with a friend, he asked me the age old question: "If you could have three and only three wishes, what would they be?" This time the question really got me thinking. I think it's a question that we usually just shout out answers to without really thinking about it. We find the three things that seem like they would be cool in the heat of the moment, but which really wouldn't likely mean much to us in the long run. So I thought... If I could really have any three things, what would I choose. Which things could I wish for that I know I wouldn't regret tomorrow, next year or even 50 years from now. I finally came up with three that I am pretty sure I would be satisfied with.
1. To always have the desire, strength and courage to do the things I know I'm supposed to do.
2. As cheesy a it is.... To find the best friend that could be my eternal companion and always be surrounded by people I love.
3. To be fearless in giving to others and sharing the gospel.
As I thought about these things being the things I want most in life, it occurred to me that these are great goals for me to strive for. The things I would wish for most in life are things that through time and patience and a lot of grace from God, I can achieve without any "magic" help. It is definite that none of them are easy things to achieve, but at least the first and third are things that I can achieve. The second is partially out of my control. I cannot control how capable and willing someone else is to love me, but surrounding myself with people I love is simple, I just have to love the people I'm around, and spend time with the people I love. I guess it all goes back to the gospel truth that we are each in charge of deciding our own happiness. No one else can determine that for us. I now have three new goals to work towards.
PS. Tomorrow is the BIG day! I'll post again when I'm coherent enough. Hopefully it won't be too long!
good luck with your teethers
ReplyDelete