Sunday, August 15, 2010

Norfolk 09 August 2010

I still can't believe it is August already. I'm still getting used to writing may on things... and well, it's not really been may for quite some time now!!
Virginia is great! Of course you hear that every week, but it really is! I love this work and I love the people here in Norfolk so much!! I can not imagine having come anywhere else on my mission. Of course, I have yet to see the rest of the mission, but I'm sure that I would love it all just as much. Missionaries who serve in Norfolk 1 seem to have a special place in their hearts for it, and I was lucky enough to be born here!
Things have been happening like crazy around here, and since I'm still recovering from being sick, it seems like it's been even more of a whirlwind! We are working hard with two investigators to make sure that they are ready for their baptismal dates! I think one with Sister Crystal Campbell might be pushed back as we are trying to help her to live the word of wisdom, but I'm confidant that she knows what she needs to do, and has the ability to do it if she just trusts in the Lord! The great thing about the curriculum that we are learning is that it teaches us to really focus on the doctrine behind a change of behavior instead of focusing on changing the behavior. It goes for any behavior that needs to be changed... whether it's the word of wisdom, law of chastity or something as simple as home teaching, as we teach and understand the doctrine behind the things we do as members of God's kingdom, and as we gain our own testimonies that those are the things that the Savior would have us do, we gain a greater desire to follow him, and to do those things! I really recommend reading preach my gospel to anyone. I don't know if I said that last week, but I really do. Our mission President keeps on emphasizing to us that it isn't just a tool to help us to teach others about the gospel of Jesus Christ, but it's a guidebook to how the First Presidency and the Quorom of the twelve live their lives. It's an amazing book, and it can change the way we live our lives! I love it! I love being a missionary right now! I know that I'm out here at the perfect time, and I know that my call was definitely inspired! I can't think of any place or anything else I'd rather be doing right now than what I am!
SIster case and I have been talking about the Priesthood a lot lately, and it was great that it fell right in with the theme of all our meetings at church yesterday. It's just so amazing to us how incredibly powerful the priesthood is, and how real it is. I know that it is the power of God on this earth, and that through the priesthood we can receive blessings that God has for us! I've been reading through my patirarchal blessing the last few days, really studying it, and i know that it is a blessing from God just for me. many of the things that were said to me in it match up perfectly with my life, and i can see even better now how certain blessings are beginning to be fulfilled through me serving a mission and helping others to come unto Christ and start on the path to eternal life! What is even more amazing is that when I was sick last week and asked for a blessing, the blessing reminded me of many things that were said to me in my patriarchal blessing. It's one more evidance that the church is true if a man 3 thousand miles away who I hardly know can give me a blessing 4 years down the road that reminds me of the promises made before! I love this gospel, and my heart aches for those who don't have that light in their lives!
Ed Clemens is going to be baptized on the 4th of next month! I know that he is going to make his baptismal date, and I'm so excited for him. He is a true example of someone who has come to know for himself, and because of the faith he has developed, he is willing to make sacrifices to be a part of God's kingdom. Last night he prayed with us after we taught him the word of wisdom, and he prayed that our words would be able to sink into his stubborn heart! Then he prayed for us and gave thanks for our desire to help him and be persistant in teaching him. It's moments like tha tthat definitely make our work worth every hard moment! Those times where we get caught 5 blocks from our car in the pouring rain, or when we feel like we can't knock one more door! There are so many great examples of people who make our work worth it!
There is one family we are working with right now. He used to be a member but was excommunicated back in April. My heart truly aches for them. We were talking to her the other night and she mentioned the light that has diminished from her husband since he stopped attending church and especially since the excommunication. She sees the different! She recognizes the presence and absence of the Holy Ghost in her husband and wants that back. We made a deal that we would all three do everything in our power to help him to regain that light. She herself is asking all the right questions, she is ready for the gospel. There are so many people that we are working with that I just wish could understand the healing power of the atonement and apply it in their lives. I know it works miracles! I know it.
I've gotten a few letters from some of you who read my blog. I don't imagine there are too many more than the letters I've gotten, but I'm glad that you are all enjoying my letters. I love hearing from home. It might seem strange, but it's the love that I've gotten from the people I knew before I left that gave me the desire to serve a mission... a desire to come out here and share that love with everyone. The letters give me a greater desire to serve with all my heart and do everything I can to return the love that I've received! Thanks too all of you for your support! I'm so glad to have family and friends who support me in the gospel! We all need those people in our lives!
Love always
Sister Boston

No comments:

Post a Comment

counter