Thursday, July 29, 2010

25 July 2010

It's crazy to think that I've been on my mission for two months already. It seems like the time has flown. But then again, it seems like so much has happened that it is hard to believe that it has only been two months. It seems like long enough that everything will be completely different when I get home. Strange!!

So, I got my first transfer call last night. I'm staying her in Norfolk, but my companion is moving 20 miles away to Salem. She will still be in my zone so I'll see her occasionally. My new companion is coming from Richmond. She is one of two sisters that has served on that side of the mission. She also was Sister Jacob's companion in the MTC, so it should be good. I've heard a lot of really good things about her... she is an excellent teacher and very energetic. Sister J. thinks that she is just what this area is going to need to get people moving and working. I'm excited. It will be interesting too. So.... it should be an interesting next transfer. I'm excited for it, and to see how it changes things here in Norfolk.

This last week was an interesting week because Sister J. spent three days up in Richmond for training. All the leadership in the mission got to go to learn what we learned in the pilot program in the MTC. In the mean time, I was in a trio with the sisters that are in the Norfolk 2nd ward. We spent most of our time in their area, but it was cool to spend some time with other sisters seeing how they work and how different people do things. It's really great to have perspective from more than one person. I am grateful though that I had the trainer that I have had and that she has been as open to learning from what I learned as she has been to teaching me. It has made the transition easier, and she said that it made the training a lot less overwhelming when she went up there.

Despite the lack of work being done in our area for those days that she was out of town, we had an amazing weekend. We had a pioneer picnic this last weekend for the stake, and we were able to get two investigators out to it. One of them... Ed who I talk about just about every email came and made himself right at home. We didn't even find him until almost an hour into the picnic because he made himself at home on the grill flipping burgers. It was so great to see him being involved with everyone! Hopefully he will let us know soon exactly when he wants to be baptized. He really likes keeping us in the dark though :P The other investigator that we got there was Steven. I'm not sure if I've written about him before, but we found him tracting at the beginning of the transfer. He is just moving here, and has actually had a lot of contact with church members before. We have been meeting with him whenever he is in town since then. he is really seeking for something more in his life, and last week when he got back in town, he called us three times before we were able to get back to him. He seemed a little uncomfortable at the picnic at first, but once people started getting him involved I think that he had fun. He participated in the tug of war, and the three legged race. It was a blast despite the HOT weather! It has been really hot and humid the last few days!

Church yesterday was great too! It was a really good Sunday to end the transfer and our time together with. We had four investigators and four less actives there. The biggest miracle in that was Crystal Campbell. She is one that has been talking to the missionaries forever, she knows the church is true, but she gets hung up on the fact that members aren't perfect and she isn't really sure that she wants a forever family because she doesn't really like her husband. When we talked to her on Saturday she had mentioned that her husband had expressed a desire to go to church, but not ours because he is against us even meeting with Crystal. She said she was trying to decide if she should come to our church or go with him. We told her to pray about it, read her scriptures and then do what she knew was right and she needed to do. We didn't really expect to see her there at church, but sure enough she showed up!! It was wonderful!

This work is great! A sister missionary in our mission always sings a song....
I love being a missionary
Don't wanna go home and get married.

That's kinda how I feel right now. I'm so glad that I have so much more time to do this work.

Love you all!

Sister Boston

No comments:

Post a Comment

counter